- Main Meal
Pomegranate summer salad
- 15 mins
- 40 mins
- Serves 4
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Party Food
- Refined Sugar Free
Complete with pomegranate gems and bright cucumber bites, this salad adds a festive pop to any dining table.
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 250g tempeh
- ½ head medium cauliflower, cut in florets
- ½ telegraph cucumber
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ⅓ cup silken tofu
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- ½ pomegranate, deseeded
- Prep: Heat oven to 210°c.
- Make paste: In a baking dish, mix half of each spice (turmeric, sumac & cumin) with 1 tablespoon of hot water to form a paste.
- Bake: Slice the tempeh and cauliflower, coat in the spice paste in the baking dish. Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Dice the cucumber and capsicum, and wash the baby spinach.
- Prepare dressing: mix 4 tablespoons of silken tofu with 1 tablespoon of cold water, ½ teaspoon of sumac, ½ teaspoon of ground cumin and juice of ½ lemon. Blend to combine with a hand-blender or food processor.
- Assemble salad: in a large bowl, combine baby spinach, cannellini beans, cucumber, capsicum, cauliflower and tempeh with the dressing and toss well before topping with the pomegranate seeds.
- For a lighter salad, swap pomegranate for strawberries and omit the cauliflower.
- For extra omega 3s, sprinkle with hemp seeds.
- Using a lidded oven dish stops the cauliflower from drying out in the oven, without adding oil.
- Pairing green leafy vegetables with fruits and citrus increases your absorption of iron.