- Healthy Dessert
Thick and fluffy wholesome pancakes
- 5 mins
- 25 mins
- Serves 4
- Gluten Free Option
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Party Food
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
A healthy American-style thick pancake.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 cups wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk
- 1 ½ cups water
Berry maple sauce:
- 2 cups berries
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Extra chopped fruit to top, such as sliced bananas, kiwifruit, mandarins
- 1 scoop vanilla cream
- 1 scoop banana nice cream
- Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the batter
- Add mashed bananas, wholemeal flour, baking powder, plant milk and water to a food processor. Blend until it forms a smooth batter.
- Warm a non-stick fry pan over a medium low heat. If you don’t have a decent fry pan you can get away with using baking paper on the fry pan instead of oil.
- Once the pan is warm, pour approximately ½ cup blobs onto the pan and leave for 2-3 minutes until ready to flip. Flip and cook for another minute As they are thick pancakes they take some time to cook through!
- While the pancakes cook, prepare the berry maple syrup. Warm the berries and lemon juice in a pot over medium heat until hot. Pour into a blender and add the maple syrup, then blend until smooth.
- Serve pancakes with fresh fruit such as sliced kiwifruit and banana, or peeled mandarins, berry maple sauce and optional vanilla cream or nice cream.
- Instead of berry maple syrup, serve with ¼ cup sticky caramel sauce, vanilla cream and sliced banana.
- To make gluten free, try using buckwheat flour or spelt flour (or a mix of the two flours).