- Main Meal
- 10 mins
- 50 mins
- Serves 4-6
- Gluten Free
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
Inspired by Indian flavours, this recipe is perfect in the cooler weather.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 2cm cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3cm piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups home-made vegetable stock
- 1 cup red split lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, soaked for 4 hours in water
- 650g cauliflower (approx half a large cauliflower)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup plant milk
- Pre-soak ½ cup cashews in water for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp of water and add the onion, stirring frequently.
- Grind the coriander seeds and black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle. As the onion begins to soften, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds, ground peppercorns and carrot to the pan. Add a splash more water if the spices stick to the pan. Add the eggplant and stir constantly to ensure that the spices do not burn.
- When the eggplant begins to soften, add the garlic, ginger, turmeric and stir well.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock and lentils.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer for about 30 minutes, cover, stirring often, until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. You may need to add more water or vegetable stock if the mixture is too dry.
- While the mixture is simmering, make the pie topping. Start by roughly chopping the cauliflower and steam it until soft.
- Place the steamed cauliflower in a blender. Drain the soaked cashews and add to the blender, along with the nutritional yeast and plant milk. Blend on high until a smooth consistency is achieved (add more milk or water if needed).
- Once the lentil mixture is cooked, pour into a large ovenproof dish (or divide into 4-6 smaller individual ovenproof dishes).
- Top with cauliflower mash and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until cauliflower topping is starting to brown.
- This dish is full of flavour and is perfect for cooler nights. Serve alongside some sauteed greens for a fabulous winter spread.
- If you can’t find eggplant, swap out for pumpkin or mushrooms.