- Healthy Dessert
Chai apple porridge
- 5 mins
- 15 mins
- Serves 2
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free Option
- Oil Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
- Super Easy
A tasty twist on a filling family favourite.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup any plant milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 tsp chai spices*
- 2 tsp coconut chips or desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp of almond butter (optional)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp chai spices*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- To make the porridge, add the oats, milk, water, grated apple and spices to a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the porridge reaches your desired consistency. Add more water/milk for a thinner porridge.
- To stew the apples, add the apple, spices and 1 tablespoon water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir, place the lid on the pot and cook until the apples have softened, stirring regularly. Add lemon juice and stir.
- Divide the hot porridge into 2 bowls. Top with the coconut chips, stewed apple and almond butter (optional).
* Combine 3 tablespoons cinnamon, 1 tablespoon cardamom, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon turmeric. Stir well to blend, then use 1 tsp of this mixture in the recipe.
- Try this with pears instead of apples - delicious!
- Leave the skin on the apples, it adds texture and contains plenty of nutrients!