- Main Meal
Jackfruit and pineapple tacos
- 5 mins
- 15 mins
- Serves 4
- Gluten Free Option
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Party Food
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
These colourful fruity tacos combine savoury and sweet flavours with a delicious juicy texture
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 2 x 400g tins jackfruit in brine
- 1 x 125g can black beans
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 pineapple, cut into 1cm thick rings
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 small avocado
- Nutritional yeast
- Cracked pepper
- 12 small corn tortillas (ensure they are at least 95% corn)
- Place sliced onion in a medium fry pan over a high heat. Add 1 tbsp of water and stir until the onion starts turning brown.
- Add to the fry pan: well drained and rinsed jackfruit and black beans, juice of 1 lime, paprika and cumin. Cook until warm through.
- On a hot griddle pan, fry pineapple slices for 4 mins each side, remove from the pan and cut into chunks.
- Mix cabbage, carrots, coriander leaves in a bowl.
- In another bowl mash avocado, remaining lime juice, sprinkle of nutritional yeast and a large grind of cracked pepper.
- Place tortilla on hot frying pan for 1 min each side.
- Top warm tortilla with cabbage, jackfruit mixture, grilled pineapple chunks and a dollop of mashed avocado.
- Serve immediately.
- If cooking your black beans from dry, allow approx ¾ cup dry to yield the equivalent of a can.
- For a gluten-free option, find tacos that are wheat-free and close to 100% corn.