- Main Meal
Sweet potato burritos
- 10 mins
- 10 mins
- Serves 4
- Burger / Wrap
- Gluten Free Option
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
- Super Easy
A filling dish showcasing the versatility of sweet potatoes. These root vegetables are rich in beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that strengthens your memory and your immune system.
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 x 400g can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp green onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Place the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and add water to come an inch up the sides. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the corn and cook for 1 more minute.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the black beans, green onion, lime juice, and chili powder; season with pepper to taste.
- Divide the filling among the tortillas, top with the salsa and lettuce, roll the burritos, and serve.
- Try adding other seasonal ingredients such as pepper or tomatoes, or swap the lettuce for shredded spinach.
- For a gluten free option, choose gluten free whole grain tortillas.
- Original recipe from 'Power Foods for the Brain' by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Christine Waltermeyer, C.H.H.C. of https://naturalkitchenschool.com