- Side Dish
- 3 mins
- 5 mins
- Serves 4
- 5 Ingredients or less
- Gluten Free
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free Option
- Oil Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
- Super Easy
Pair cooked greens alongside your favourite dish for a boost of nutrients and flavour.
- 4 cups leafy greens, such as bok choy, silverbeet, spinach or kale, chopped roughly
- ¼ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Pour half of the water into a large pan over medium heat. When water starts to simmer, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the greens and toss. Cook for about five minutes, stirring often. until wilted and bright green. Add splashes of water if the pan becomes dry.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
- Top with an optional sprinkle of dried cranberries, pine nuts or red chilli flakes (or a mixture of these).
- There are lots of ways to make your sautéed greens sing: try a teaspoon of nut butter, a splash of low-sodium tamari, or whatever fresh or dried herbs and spices match the main dish you're serving them with.
- Oven-baked broccoli makes another delicious green side. Chop up enough for 2 cups per person (include the peeled stalks), add a sprinkle of chilli flakes, bake for 5-10 mins, and squeeze on lemon juice at the end.