- Healthy Dessert
Apple pie energy bites
- 15 mins
- Serves 20 bites
- Gluten Free Option
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free Option
- Oil Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
Energy bites make for the perfect sweet, energising snack.
- ¾ cup dried or fresh pitted dates
- ¾ cup unsweetened dried apple rings, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup ground chia or flax seeds
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch ground clove
- Place the dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them until they are just covered. Use a plate to cover the bowl and let sit for 10 minutes, allowing the dates to soften.
- Pour out and discard half of the liquid from the dates. Add the dates and remaining liquid to a food processor. Process until there are no big chunks of dates left.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the processor. Process on low speed until everything is combined well.
- Roll the mixture into balls or flatten on baking paper to make muesli squares.
- For something a little more special, serve crumbled over banana nice cream.
- To make nut-free, nuts can be swapped with sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
- To make strictly gluten-free and coeliac-friendly*, oats can be swapped with puffed rice or quinoa flakes.
- *In Australia we do not class oats as part of a strict gluten-free diet. For those with coeliac disease, read more about oats at coeliac.org.au.