- Main Meal
Quick bean stew
- 10 mins
- 15 mins
- Serves 5
- Gluten Free
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- One Pot
- Super Easy
A batch cooking, one-pot-wonder stew featuring a variety of yummy flavours.
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli to taste
- 1-2 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp onion powder (or 1 medium fresh, diced)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves, minced)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls spinach (or other dark leafy green)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen (optional)
- 1 cup shelled edamame (thawed from frozen)
- Optional: 2½ cups cooked rice or quinoa
- Put all the ingredients except for the spinach, corn and edamame in a large saucepan and cook over medium to high heat for 10 minutes. Don’t boil, just simmer.
- Turn heat to low and stir in the greens, corn and edamame. Replace the lid, leaving to wilt/soften in the hot stew for a few minutes just before serving.
- Serve with cooked rice or quinoa, or as is.
- For meat lovers, sneak in some bite sized rough torn chunks of tempeh. When warmed these give a really satisfying “chew” to plant based dishes in the most wholesome and healthy way.
- f you wish, add a small handful of walnuts and garnish with a handful of chopped parsley.
- Feel free to add chia seeds at serving for more calcium or sprinkle ground flax for even more omega 3’s.
- Add whatever veggies you like and each time you reheat a portion, and more fresh greens! Chef's tips Freeze any leftover portions for use throughout the week. Each time you reheat a portion, add more fresh greens!