- Main Meal
- 5 mins
- 10 mins
- Serves 2
- Gluten Free Option
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- One Pot
- Refined Sugar Free
- Super Easy
This hearty burrito is a perfect all-day breakfast, easy to pack on the go and will keep you well-fuelled for the day.
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp water + more if needed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 cup broccolini (or broccoli), roughly chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 x 250g block plain tempeh, crumbled
- Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup cooked kidney beans, mashed (approx ½ a 400g can)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste, dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- 2 large corn tortillas
- Handful raw mixed greens (e.g. baby spinach, rocket, lettuce), shredded
- Sauté the chopped red onion in a pan over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of water for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spices (turmeric, coriander and cumin) and a splash more water if needed, and cook for another 30-60 seconds.Add the broccolini, mushrooms, tempeh and cherry tomatoes to the pan and stir to combine with the spice and onion mix.
- Stir the tomato paste into a cup of hot water, then add this to the pan along with the mashed kidney beans. Stir well, then reduce heat and cover to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dollop a generous serving of bean mix into each tortilla, top with fresh greens, roll up, and serve!
- I love serving these burritos with a DIY salsa made from chopped chilli, tomato and lemon or lime juice.
- If you like a bit of heat, add some chopped fresh chilli or chilli flakes along with the other spices at step 2.
- Try this recipe with different veggies of your choice. For example, sliced capsicum (red, orange, yellow or green) can be cooked up at step 3, and other salad ingredients such as cucumber or avocado added at step 5.