- Main Meal
Greens and beans pikelets
- 3 mins
- 5 mins
- Serves 15
- Gluten Free
- Kid Friendly
- Nut Free
- Oil Free
- Party Food
- Refined Sugar Free
- Soy Free
These little patties are a super easy snack and lunchbox food for toddlers and kids of all ages. They are packed with beans and greens to add protein, nutrients and fibre to your kids’ day.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (or other wholemeal flour)
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup leafy greens (e.g. baby spinach and/or basil)
- ½ cup canned beans or lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over a medium heat. Dollop mixture into pan with a tablespoon, making around 5 small pikelets at a time. Cook for a few minutes and when you see the top bubbling and starting to set, flip the patty over using a flat spatula. Cook patties for another few minutes until just golden on both sides
- Top with your child's favourite healthy topping. We like to use peanut butter and homemade chia jam, or hummus and cucumber cut into stars with a cookie cutter.
- Pinto beans are my go-to with this recipe, but they work equally well with other canned beans such as cannellini or kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils or a 4-bean mix.
- These are a favourite in our house, topped with our delicious Chia raspberry jam.